Minutes for the regular meeting of the
Walpole Conservation Commission
Monday, October 5, 2015
Present: Tom Beaudry, John Peska, Sharyn Tullar (alt.), Lewis Shelley, Gary Speed, Myra Mansouri (alt.), Kelli Wilson, Whit Aldrich (SelectBoard representative)
Not Present: Alicia Flammia, Peter Palmiotto (alt.), Duncan Watson
Mr. Beaudry, chair, called the meeting to order at 7:37 PM.
No Alternates needed seating
Corrections to the minutes: another instance of Scout name misspelled: Benjamin Haefner under Old Business. Mr. Speed moved to accept the minutes for the September 14, 2015 meeting as corrected. Mr. Peska seconded, and the motion passed with all in favor.
Maeve Perron attended the Barry Conservation Camp at the end of July 2015. She brought a poster of pictures she had taken and reported on her activities. She very much enjoyed the shooting and the canoe trip. Maeve won an award for the canoe trip and many counselors commented on how well she did on that trip, especially her leadership in helping the other students. Her canoe was the only one not to tip over.
No reports available
- Supply Line newsletter
- Environmental News
- NH Association of Conservation Commission meeting November 7, 2015.
New Business, cont.
2016 Budget- no Actual YTD spending report available. After discussion of the upcoming expenses, it was agreed to level fund for next year with no changes. The budget was submitted to the Mr. Aldrich to pass on to the Town Treasurer.
- On the Bensonwood letter, a question about the “conditional uses” was clarified as being from the Well Head Source Protection Ordinance. Peska moved that the letter as amended by Ms. Flammia be signed by Mr. Beaudry and delivered to Bensonwood. Mr. Speed seconded, and the motion passed with all in favor.
- Eagle Scout projects – Mr. Shelley: Adam Terrell’s project was approved; he will do from the parking lot out to just before the reroute section but Mr. Shelley will recommend that it be Spring before this takes place. Benjamin Haefner should also wait until Spring to do a kiosk and the reroute around the damaged areas.
- Water Co Timber Harvest – nothing has been done. Mr. Beaudry will call Garland to see what the plan is.
- KSC trails mapping- No update
- Class 6 Roads Subcommittee met October 5 @7pm. Mark Houghton, Water Dept; Mike Symonds, Highway Dept; Dick Hurlburt, Fire Dept; Peggy Pschirrer, Selectboard, John Peska, Conservation; and Lew Shelley, Conservation were in attendance. They reviewed the list as established by the Conservation Commission on March 26, 2014 and will be sending recommendations within the week for priority regarding fire safety, usability, and recreation.
- The NH Supreme Court has ruled that the variance case between the Town of Surry Zoning Board of Adjustment and Merriam Farms Inc. must go back to Cheshire County Superior Court. Merriam Farms wants to build a single family house on property that is on a Class 6 Road. The Town denied the application for a variance. It is up to the property owners to decide if they want to continue to seek the variance.
- Shelley took tools belonging to the Conservation Commission to Pinnacleview for cleaning. This included a chain saw and a (very heavy) brush cutter. Several hand tools, such as axes, picks, etc. are missing. Once they are replaced, they should be kept in a locked box.
- Hooper Golf Course sale is waiting on investors to come through with their pledges.
- Timber Harvest at Hooper Forest will be done after the Reservoir harvest. Peter Rhoades has been told to start marking the trees this winter. Funds from the Hooper Forest harvest will go to the Hooper Trust and they will pay Mr. Rhoades for that work.
- The Fanny Mason Forest will need to be cleared out in the Spring since it is not possible to be done currently.
The next meeting will be Monday, November 2, 2015.
Mr. Peska moved that the meeting be adjourned at 8:29pm. Mr. Speed seconded, and the motion passed with all in favor.
Elaine Heleen, Recording Secretary
NOTE: These are unapproved minutes with corrections to be found in the minutes of the next meeting.