Conservation Commission Meeting Minutes – 1/7/19

Members Present:

Lewis Shelley, Alicia Flammia (Chair), Steven Dumont, Jackie Kensen

 

Alternates Present:

Myra Mansouri, Gary Speed

 

Members Absent:

Peter Palmiotto, Kelli Wilson, Elaine Heleen, Laura Hayes, Duncan Watson

 

Others Present:

Ray Boas, Chuck Shaw, France Mink

 

Call to Order: Alicia called the meeting to order at 7:34 PM. 

 

Seating of Alternates: No seating of alternates required.

 

Review and approve minutes – December 3, 2018. The date was noted as November 5, 2018 and should be changed to December 3, 2018. Lew made a motion to approve as revised. Jackie seconded. All in favor.

 

Public Business:

1. Treasury: Alicia handed out balances of accounts from November 30. They are not up to date because of recent transactions. $25,000 came into the conservation fund from change of use fees. Alicia has the $9,000 check to the Monadnock Conservancy and is awaiting the $1,000 check, which she will mail out. The $100,000 check for the Walker Road Property has been sent out. 
2. Correspondence:
a. NH Charitable Trust Publication.

 

New Business: 

1. Walker Road Property: Chuck Shaw, France Mink and Ray Boas were in attendance to update the WCC on the property. The land has been bought and turned over to the Town of Walpole/WCC. They came to thank the WCC for their support. The $100,000 turned out to be a crucial donation. The cost of the property, with the legal fees/closing costs, equaled $283,369.39. They raised all but $1,202.00. Chuck believes that about 200 people contributed to the purchase. Chuck mentioned that there are commitments from other donors and interest from people to donate more money for uses on the land that contribute to conservation/public use. Chuck is asking if the WCC can establish a fund for donations specifically for the property. The WCC believes that this can be done, as it has been done with other WCC accounts. Alicia was questioning whether the account should be structured differently than our current accounts. Gary asked if it should be a trust fund. Alicia mentioned that they have discussed this and they believe it should not, as it is difficult to access those funds. Alicia will look into the account. Chuck mentioned that there is public interest in the property and having it open for public access. There is discussion of having an open house type event to show people the property and come up with ideas of things to do on the property. Alicia mentioned that she has reviewed the deed language and it is restrictive on what exactly can be done, so any ideas would need to be reviewed with the deed. Alicia handed out copies of the deed and will email out to members not in attendance. She asked if we should bring in the town attorney to answer any questions we may have. It was agreed that members of the WCC will review the deed, come up with questions, and Alicia will try to schedule a meeting with the town attorney.
2. Community Farming Initiative: Peter was not in attendance. Steven emailed out a link to the Monadnock Farm & Community Coalition. Further discussion tabled until next meeting.

 

 

Old Business:

1. NHACC Dues: Alicia has submitted dues.
2. Great Brook/Boggy Meadow Farm: The lease is completed and filed with the town. 
3. Reservoir Dam: John mentioned the field work is done. Fuss & O’Neill is processing the inspection report. The WCC should have a hard copy for the February meeting. John mentioned that there are a lot of invoices and he is trying hard to make sure the WCC is not getting billed for other projects that the subconsultants are working on in town. There is one outstanding invoice. John made a motion to pay in the amount of $811.89. Steven seconded. All in favor. Money to come out of the Forestry account.
4. Town Conservation Report/Maps: Laura is out but she asked everyone again to review the spreadsheet and let her know if there are any comments. Steven looked at town owner properties in North Walpole. There are a few properties including the pump house, Village Park, and some other small properties. Gary mentioned a large property which is owned by the Walpole Water Department. Steven will try and track that down. Steven thinks that all town owned property should be added to the map if some of them are already.
5. Peter Graves Easement/MC: Already discussed. Alicia is sending out checks.
6. Fannie Mason Feasibility Study: Lew is going to revise the study and send it back out. Lew has had some interest from volunteer biking groups to help out with clearing and trail work. Lew thinks that March would be a good time to get some clearing done. Alicia would like to select dates at the next meeting for trail work.
7. Champion Black Oak, Mill Pond Signage: Steven contacted the person who is responsible for making the signs. He has yet to hear back.
8. Barry 4-H Conservation Camp: John met the Middle school counselor. She has extended the invite to the student from last year. They are going through the application process.
9. Watershed Town Forest Management Plan: No update from Alicia. She has no records. Peter P. was going to contact Peter Rhodes. Long View Forest contacted Peter Rhodes and they did not receive a plan from him.
10. Hooper Forest Rapid Assessment: Alicia got an update from Long View Forest. The points on the map are simple waypoints. Any points of interest on the map have photos included. Alicia thinks it is a good idea to get them to come in and discuss the next steps for this property and see what properties may be next for a rapid assessment.

 

Other Business:

1. Brownfield Cleanup: Alicia is going to the open house and working with Peggy to help write a grant application.
2. Budget: John mentioned that between the dam work, forest management plans, Walker Road contribution and everything else going on, we have spent more money lately than we have recently and he would like to keep an eye on our budget.

 

Adjournment: At 8:59 John made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Alicia seconded. Meeting adjourned.

Next Meeting: Monday, February 4, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted; Steven Dumont, Recording Secretary

Note: These are unapproved minutes. Corrections, if any, will be found in the minutes of February 4, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: