Conservation Commission Meeting Minutes – 4/1/19

Members Present: Alicia Flammia (Chair), John Peska (Vice Chair), Lewis Shelley, Steven Dumont, Jackie Kensen

 

Alternates Present: Myra Mansouri

 

Members Absent: Laura Hayes, Duncan Watson, Gary Speed, Elaine Heleen, Kelli Wilson, Peter Palmiotto

 

Others Present: Ray Boas, Sam Loch, Peggy Pschirrer     

Call to Order: Alicia called the meeting to order at 7:31 PM. 

 

Seating of Alternates: No seating of alternates required.

 

Review and approve minutes – March 4, 2019. In “2. Correspondence”, under the fifth line, it should read “the” and not “they”. Lew made a motion to approve as amended. John seconded. All in favor. Minutes approved as amended.

 

Public Business:

1. Treasury: Conservation fund savings balance is $34,192.67, PDIP is $92,843.51. Forestry savings account balance is $1,026.85, PDIP is $52,634.77. The Walker Road PDIP account has $3,992.87. The Mason non-expendable account has $16,087.86, the expendable fund balance is $340,994.41.
2. Correspondence:
a. Monadnock Conservancy publication.
b. NH Municipal Association discussion meeting date.
c. Michael Nerrie is buying another parcel to add to his easement.

 

New Business: 

1. Walker Road Property; Town Attorney: The attorney has the flu. He is scheduled for the May meeting. Alicia has emailed him questions. If anyone has questions ahead of time, they can email them to Alicia. Also, John did contact Fish & Game. Garret Graaskamp is the representative for boat access. Garret stated that they would be interested in seeing a fixed boat ramp because there is nothing nearby. They would lease it from the town. It would grant authority to the state to run it. He would be interested in coming to the property to walk it and discuss opportunities. John will reach out to invite him to the open house. Lew noted that the bank is very steep and getting access to the river would be difficult. Other members noted there would be parking, trash and monitoring to deal with. John said it would be a different clientele than what most of the conservation minded people would like to see. Steven asked if we even want to pursue researching it. Alicia noted that quite a few people had asked about boat access, and this would be doing our due diligence. John will invite him. Ray Boas was in attendance, and asking about an itinerary for the open house, and an article for the Clarion deadline. 

 

Old Business:

1. Walker Road Property Open House: Alicia noted that there were a lot of good ideas from the fundraising committee for event specifics. Steven asked Ray if Chuck or France had any ideas. Steven mentioned that at the very least it would be a brief talk, a ribbon cutting and a tour. Alicia suggested a nature walk and/or plant tour by Peter P. or Michael Nerrie. Jackie asked if we would like Fletcher to mow the fields before the event. Alicia will reach out to the attorney ahead of the next meeting to see if that seems reasonable without an agreement yet in place. Lew asked what the date was; it is Saturday May 11th. It was agreed not to have a rain date. Ray mentioned that Chuck has a contact who can drop off and set up a tent. Steven asked about posting a donor list at the event, but Ray mentioned there are some donors that asked to stay anonymous. Ray suggested the local 4-H group, or the boy scouts. Jackie will contact Holly Gowdy who runs the local 4-H. Lew suggested the girl scouts. Lawn games and a food truck were suggested. Alicia asked if we would like a committee to organize the event. Steven will put together an email with a list of ideas.Lew will contact Peter about the nature walk. He will also contact the girl scout leader. Alicia will contact Steve D’Alessio about the boy scouts. In lieu of a food truck, a bake sale might be preferable. A time of 11:00 – 2:00 was set for the event. Steven will send out an email with commitments people have made and things that still need to be worked out. Lew suggested members of the WCC who have not been to the property walk it ahead of the event. It was decided to meet at the property at 12:30 PM after the Fanny Mason Trail workday. 
2. Fannie Mason Trail Work: Has been advertised in the Walpolean and on the Facebook page. Lew would like to have two groups, depending on attendance. Once the larger debris is cleared we would be raking the existing trail. Lew will contact the boy & girl scouts and local bike group to gauge attendance. He would like people to RSVP if possible. 
3. Town Easement Report & Maps: no update from Peter & Laura. Steven sent out example maps of Peterborough NH and the Monadnock Conservancy. Peggy mentioned that if we have suggestions for the website we contact Sarah Downing. Steven suggested having a conservation map and a trail map. Steven will look for a digital copy of the map and contact Sarah.
4. WCC Facebook Page Review: everyone agrees it looks great and has been sharing as much as possible. 
5. Reservoir Dam: John received an invoice for $5,076.85. The local Forestry account does not have enough. John proposes paying the invoice to Fuss & O’Neill for $5,076.85 and moving that same amount from the PDIP account to the regular forestry account. Jackie seconded. All in favor. John received the report from the engineers, and the Operation Maintenance and Response form needs to be returned to the state. Fuss & O’Neill will complete. Also, last month John discussed the main three concerns that need to be addressed at the site. Priority is the spillway and getting the pipe slipped. John has leads on a few contractors that may be interested. He needs to talk with Mark Houghton. It may be less expensive for the town to have the work contracted.
6. Long View Forest Management: Alicia emailed Alex and told him we wanted to move ahead with the three forests. Alicia will check with him for a timeline.
7. Community Farming Initiative: discussion has been slow. Lew will email Peter to see if he is interested in discussing at the Open House.
8. Expiring Terms: Alicia, Peter & Jackie are all interested but have not written letters. No word from Duncan & Gary.
9. Commercial Solar Project: Presentation is coming up April 9th. 

 

Other Business:

1. Lew mentioned an app called Strava, which allows people to track running, biking and other outdoor activities. There is also an app called Strava Heat, which allows anyone who uses Strava to see where everyone else has been. The concern is people posting trails which are not public or which have not been approved by the land owners.

 

Adjournment: At 8:31 John made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Lew seconded. Meeting adjourned.

Next Meeting: Monday, May 6, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted; Steven Dumont, Recording Secretary

Note: These are unapproved minutes. Corrections, if any, will be found in the minutes of May 6, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: