Conservation Commission Meeting Minutes – 6/3/19

Members Present: Alicia Flammia (Chair), Steven Dumont (Recording Secretary), Lewis Shelley, Laura Hayes

 

Alternates Present: Gary Speed

 

Members Absent: Peter Palmiotto, Myra Mansouri, John Peska (Vice Chair), Elaine Heleen, Kelli Wilson

 

Others Present: France Menk, Duncan Watson, Jackie Kensen, Peggy Pschirrer (Selectboard Representative)

 

Call to Order: Alicia called the meeting to order at 7:32 PM. 

 

Seating of Alternates: None required.

 

Review and approve minutes – May 6, 2019. Lew made a motion to accept the minutes as written. Jackie seconded. All in favor.

 

Public Business:

1. Treasury: Alicia does not have the Savings Bank of Walpole balances.The Mason non-expendable account has $13,846.15, the expendable fund balance is $340,573.13.
2. Correspondence:
a. Walpole Horse Feeds has donated $50.00 to the WCC in memory of Harold Putnam. It’s made out to the Walker Road Conservation Fund. Alicia to deposit.
b. Town & City publication.
c. NH Charitable Foundation publication.,

 

New Business: 

1. Harold Putnam Memorial: Lew suggested this as an agenda item. Harold Putnam has passed away. Lew went to the calling hours and said we were interested in creating a memorial for him. His family was very interested. He was instrumental in creating the Cranberry Meadow Damn. He also realized that towns could sell town forests, and he came up with the idea of putting the Walpole Town Forests in conservation easements. For the memorial, Lew is considering a viewing platform, a rock with a plaque or a bench. Lew mentioned Eloise Clarke was thinking about a boardwalk. It would be expensive though. WCC members think a memorial of some kind is a great idea. The property could be named after Harold as well. It was agreed to think about it over the next month.

 

 

 

Old Business:

1. Walker Road Property. Open house was great. Alicia passed around the suggestions for naming the land and what to do with the land. Lew asked about a kiosk. Steven thought it would be a great idea, and would have the intended and allowable uses for the property posted on the kiosk. Steven thinks a gate is premature unless there is a problem. Lew said it could be as simple as a couple posts and a chain. Steven asked Lew what a rough estimate for the kiosk would be. He thought it may be $800 tops, depending on wood materials. France volunteered to write information for the kiosk. Lew also has leave no trace materials. Steven made a motion to have Lew provide an estimate for the kiosk. Jackie seconded. All in favor. The kiosk panel would be shiplapped pine. Roof would have cedar shakes. Lexan can cover the panel. Poles could be black locust or white pine. The estimate could then be used for other trails and locations where we would like a kiosk. Maintenance agreement; Alicia has not started the agreement. She asked Jackie if she would give it to the Fletchers for review, Jackie said yes.
2. WALS Collaborative Informational Dinner: There were about 60 people there. The food was great. The WCC set up a table along with many other groups. Lew, Laura and Alicia were in attendance. There was a lot of interest in resident’s putting their land in conservation easements. Peggy was asking about maps. She has had people coming into the selectboard office looking for them. Alicia emailed the conservation map to Sarah. Laura mentioned there was a family on Ramsay Hill who was looking to put a farm under easement. They have been talking with the Monadnock Conservancy. 
3. Mill Pond Work Day: June is full for most people. Lew thinks we should try July. Discuss at the next meeting. Can announce in Clarion, Walpolean and on the Facebook page.
4. Town Easement Report, Maps, Website: Agreed to remove easement report from agenda. Will keep the town website on as an agenda item. Steven to compile suggestions for the website; minutes, conservation map, easement report, contact information for conservation agencies, list of members, etc. 
5. Reservoir Dam: John not in attendance.
6. Long View Forest Management: no update. Alex is working through the assessments. Alicia will check on progress.
7. Expiring Terms: Duncan will email letter of interest and will need to go swear in. 

 

Other Business:

1. Duncan mentioned that Regan Bissonette from the Society for the Protection of NH Forests has been named the new executive director of the Northeast Resource Recovery Association.
2. Lew has started contacting landowners about a “River to Ridge” Trail.

 

Adjournment: At 8:15 Gary made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Jackie seconded. Meeting adjourned.

Next Meeting: Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted; Steven Dumont, Recording Secretary

Note: These are unapproved minutes. Corrections, if any, will be found in the minutes of July 1, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: