Members Present: John Peska (Vice Chair), Lewis Shelley, Steven Dumont (Recording Secretary)
Alternates Present: Kelli Wilson, Gary Speed
Members Absent: Alicia Flammia, Laura Hayes, Peter Palmiotto, Myra Mansouri, Elaine Heleen
Others Present: Jackie Kensen, France Menk
Call to Order: John called the meeting to order at 7:34 PM.
Seating of Alternates: Gary and Kelli are seated as regular members.
Review and approve minutes – June 6, 2019. Lew has corrections. Under Correspondence, it is the Walpole Horse Theives, not Horse Feeds. Under New Business, Harold Putnam Memorial, Dam was spelled wrong. Lew wanted to clarify that the boardwalk might be a possibility at some point in time. Under Old Business, Walker Road Property, the poles for the kiosk would be black locust or white oak, not white pine. Gary made a motion to accept the minutes as amended. Steven seconded. All in favor.
1. Treasury: The Conservation savings account had a balance of $43,359.66 and the Forestry account had a balance of $1,129.19. Both savings account now have $0.00. The town of Walpole has closed all their savings accounts and moved the money into PDIP accounts. These have much higher interest rates. Checks now need to be written to the Town of Walpole, deposited and then moved by the town treasurer to the specific accounts. The WCC still has the Conservation, Forestry and Walker Road accounts but they are now PDIP. Alicia sent Steven the balances and Steven read them as follows; Conservation – $131,716.69 of which interest earned was $1,142.28. Forestry – $36,519.37 of which interest earned was $570.58. Walker Road – $4,445.32 of which interest earned was $38.79. The interest was for the first 6 months of 2019.
a. Spring/Summer newsletter from the Monadnock Conservancy.
b. Invoice from the town lawyer for his time meeting with us at the May meeting. 1 ½ hours of billable time. $292.50. Gary made a motion to pay the invoice. Steven seconded. All in favor. Money will come out of the Walker Road account.
1. Lew got a call from Duncan Burr who is looking to sell a family property. Some of the land is in a conservation agreement. Lew is wondering how an agreement is different than an easement. They need to know what they can and cannot do. Lew will check to see if they have gotten any information.
2. Rail Trail: Lew got word that the state is working on the washout of the rail trail.
3. Stage Road: Lew said there is discussion about whether or not Stage Road is a class 6 road. The road is currently locked and gated.
1. Harold Putnam Memorial: John spoke with Sarah Downing. There seems to be confusion over who owns the dam at the bog, and whether the WCC or the town is responsible for maintenance of the dam. In the past the WCC has paid to have the spillway cleaned and some maintenance done. John will look into it more. Lew researched stone bench costs for a memorial. Basic stone benches start at $215.00 and go up to $600.00 depending on the finish and options. Lettering is a $125.00 base fee and $7.00 per letter. The company is Keene Monuments. They recommend figuring out what we want, then going to them for a final price. Lew will come up with some ideas for text.
2. Walker Road Property: There is no update on the haying agreement. France asked about the naming contest, as she was going to give the winner a photo print. The WCC has not decided yet, but leaning towards “The Walpole Gateway”. Lew presented his proposal for the kiosk. He handed around images of a black locust kiosk and a white oak kiosk he’s completed. The pricing range is around $800 – $1,000 for the materials. He would donate the labor. Gary made a motion for Lew to spend up to $1,000 for material for a kiosk for the Walker Road Property. Steven seconded. All in favor. The spot would be right at the top of the access road. There will be a lexan panel on the face.
3. Mill Pond Work Day: August 17th was selected for the work date. Steven will send a small writeup to the Walpolean and Clarion, and post an event on Facebook. It may take a couple days to do everything that needs to be done. Lew and Kelli may walk it ahead of time to plan.
4. Town Website: Steven presented printouts of the current town website and where we are listed. The idea would be for the WCC to have their own section. Kelli has some web design experience and will coordinate updating our page with the current designer, Steven and Sarah Downing. Steven will create a list of items we would like on the site.
5. Reservoir Dam: no update. Cannot find anyone who can do the culvert work. John will talk with more people.
6. Long View Forest Management: no update from Alicia. Steven believes they were walking the second forest.
7. Expiring Terms: Jackie and Duncan need to send letters of interest and swear in. France and Peter need to swear in.
1. Barry 4-H Conservation Camp bill has been paid. The student who was going to go last year is going this year. John will work with the school counselor to find out who may be going next year.
Adjournment: At 8:55 Gary made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Steven seconded. Meeting adjourned.
Next Meeting: Monday, August 5, 2019 at 7:30 PM.
Respectfully submitted; Steven Dumont, Recording Secretary
Note: These are unapproved minutes. Corrections, if any, will be found in the minutes of August 5, 2019.