Library Trustees Meeting Minutes – 5/5/23

Present:  Amy Howard (Chair), Kathy Nerrie (Treasurer), Gail LaHaise, Susan Johnson, 

Bill Ranauro, Tim Lester, Sarah Mann, Jean Kobeski (Recording Secretary), Erin Bowen, 

Jane Malmberg (Library Director), Cheryl Mayberry (Selectboard Liaison)

Amy brought the meeting to order at 4:30 p.m.  She welcomed Cheryl Mayberry, who will now serve as the Selectboard liaison to the library.  This meeting was recorded.

Approval of Minutes: Amy moved to accept the April minutes as written.  Gail seconded, and all voted to approve the April minutes.

Treasurers Report: Kathy emailed the Treasurer’s report to the trustees prior to the meeting.  She explained that next month’s debit charge may seem a little high, but it will reflect charges for the first two months we had the card. 

Bills:  Jane explained that magazine subscriptions used to come from Amazon and each one would be paid for as renewal came due.  Amazon no longer offers subscription services so Jane has gone with another company that renews all subscriptions together once a year.  So trustees will see a subscription bill for $410 but that is for all the magazines.

Jean asked about the NH State Park pass listed under library passes.  Jane said it is a new addition.  Kathy suggested listing the passes on the library website and in the Clarion as a reminder to people that they are available. Jane said they are on the website but she and Julie will post them elsewhere as summer approaches.

Gail moved to approve the Treasurer’s Report and Bills.  Susan seconded and all voted in favor.

Motion passed. 

Old Business

Chimney: Jane reported that she has not heard from Don.  She will follow up. Amy said she would also be glad to contact him and ask that he email Jane.

Front Door:  Jane reports that Adam has ordered materials for the door. He has been very attentive and keeps in touch frequently.  He stated that there is no place on the building where the automatic open button will work;  the trustees discussed alternatives. Jane said Adam  plans to start the installation on June 7 or 8.

The Cooke Bench:  The dedication of the bench will be in early June. 

Signage for the library buildings:  Sarah showed mock-ups of signs created by the logo designer.  She also contacted Keene Sign Worx and asked for examples of signs with changeable letters, which she showed the trustees.  She said this company has a team that will take our requirements and create designs.  

Kathy said the trustees need to discuss what they want to achieve with this sign;  will changeable letters be necessary?  Perhaps a sandwich board could be used to announce upcoming events.  

Amy suggested having mock-ups and prices for the June meeting.  Sarah will contact Sign Worx. Perhaps Sarah can send out examples before the June meeting. At that time, since the bench will be in place, trustees can decide on design, size, and placement.  

Kathy said that, if someone is so inclined, Maker Spaces in Brattleboro has the machinery available to make signs. She knows the manager and will get some information from him.         

New Business

Giving Tuesday:  Jane raised the idea of the Friends of the Library participating in Giving Tuesday but, after discussing this with the trustees, decided to table the idea. The library does not have a particular project planned for which donations can be targeted.

Summer Reading Incentives:  It was decided that the canvas library totes will be the incentive  gift for adults and teens who sign up for the summer reading program.  Jane said Julie suggested having a table set up outside the post office to take sign-ups. Amy suggested having one at the Recycling Center. Jane will look into getting permission to do that. 

Operations:  Jane emailed the Operations report to the trustees prior to the meeting.  

Buildings and Grounds: Tim asked what could potentially be torn up on the grounds when the chimney work is underway. Amy answered that she would notify Rich Anderson next door when the work begins and they have a better idea of what will be happening. Amy also said that, when they finally talk to Don, they will need to clarify clean-up and potential repair of the grounds upon completion of the work. 

Friends of the Library:  The Friends have cleaned out the chicken coop in preparation for late August book donations for the book sale.

Adjournment: With no further business to discuss, Gail moved to adjourn the meeting;  Erin seconded.  Amy closed the meeting at 5:33 P.M.

The next meeting will be June 12, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jean Kobeski, Recording Secretary

** These minutes are in draft form until approved at the June 12,2022 meeting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: