Conservation Commission Commission Meeting Minutes – 6/1/20

Members Present:  Alicia Flammia, John Peska, Lewis Shelley, Laura Hayes, France Menk, Cheryl Mayberry (Selectboard Liaison), Jean Kobeski (Recording Secretary)

Members Absent:  Jackie Kenson, Steven Dumont

Alternates Present:  Myra Mansouri, Peggy Pschirrer (Selectboard Liaison),

Call to Order:  Alicia called the meeting to order at 7:35 via Zoom

Review of Minutes:  Lew wanted to clarify the minutes of March 2 (under Other Business) regarding the water level of the pond at the Hooper Golf Course. He stated that it is his understanding that the dam was built to create wildlife habitat. Therefore the WCC monitors the water level in the pond. As that is affected by the golf course, they cannot draw more water than would lower the level and disrupt the habitat, especially during dry times when sprinklers would be needed. Also some of this water may be needed by the fire department.

John moved that the March 2 minutes be accepted with Lew’s clarification, and Lew seconded. All voted in favor.

Treasury:  No report tonight; Alicia will get an update from Tom Goins.

New Business:  Three invoices were received.

1.  Long View   $1593.75 for Rapid Assessment

    John moved: France seconded payment from Forestry Account

2. Snow Hawk   $189.38 for materials for the Gateway

    John moved; France seconded payment from Walker Road Account

3. E.E. Houghton  $770.18 for Depth Survey of the Reservoir Dam

    France moved; Laura seconded payment from the Forestry Account

 

A discussion was held about camping on town forest land. The commission is against it but the Monadnock Conservancy states that the easement says nothing about camping.  Myra recommended having a zoning ordinance against it; John and France agreed. John asked what the process would be, and would the town need to vote on it. Myra stated that someone from the WCC would need to make a presentation to the Zoning Board explaining why camping should not be allowed on town forest land. France offered to do this. An ordinance would need to be written then voted on by the town.

John asked if there could be an interim measure to stop the camping; Myra said the commission could approach the Selectboard to create a temporary or interim ordinance.    

Lew suggested printing and hanging No Fires No Camping signs. John offered to talk to Mike Pacquette about this.

Peggy said the town can write an ordinance for all properties owned by the town, to be passed by the town voters. Laura said she worries about losing the vote to people who don”t understand the reasons behind it.

Alicia stated that the No Fires No Camping signs should be hung ASAP. All agreed. She said she would write to the Selectboard to request the signs (100).  Lew said he would ask the Conservancy if they could do something to revise the easement.

Cheryl asked if there is a timeline for the ordinance; Peggy will look that up.

 

Old Business:  John reported that Houghton completed the depth survey. The information was sent to Fuss and O”Neill. They have received it and are reworking the data in order to get the permit to have the culvert realigned.

In response to a call from Mark Houghton, John stated that there is a padlock and cable across the access to the Connecticut River on Walker Road and the WCC has the key. Mark Houghton wants access to the property for the fire department should there be an emergency on the river. A knox lock was suggested. John said the key would be accessible to those who need it, including Christian Gowdy and the WFD.

Lew said there will be new signs on the kiosk asking people to respect local farmers and No Fires No Camping.

Lew expressed concern about damage on Derry Hill due to the increased volume of utility vehicles. John said there is an increase in off-road motorbikes and other unregistered vehicles.

Alicia said the commission will try to meet in person in July.

The meeting adjourned at 8:16.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jean Kobeski, Recording Secretary

** These minutes are in draft form until approved by the Commission in July.

2 thoughts on “Conservation Commission Commission Meeting Minutes – 6/1/20

  1. France Menk 06/09/2020 at 8:13 AM Reply

    OK, to consolidate my statement: We realize many people feel that we should have camping on town lands. It is our job to substantiate reasons why we should not allow camping so that the people who want it will understand.

    You asked for amendments to the minutes.

    thanks France

    France Menk Studios 845 750 5261 We are green. This email sent with recycled electrons. http://www.france-menk.com

    Like

  2. Jay Clace 06/09/2020 at 10:17 AM Reply

    Be careful for what you wish for. Bring the attention to the land so the homeless will move in. They have rights, not to mention sign pollution. We always pumped water from the WCC Pond, at the time Bill Fletcher owned half of it. Asked Bill if I could take water from his half, no problem. Hope you and Kay are both well. Jay

    Sent from my iPad

    Like

Leave a Reply to Jay Clace Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: