Conservation Commission Meeting Minutes – 8/5/19

Members Present: Alicia Flammia (Chair), John Peska (Vice Chair), Lewis Shelley, Laura Hayes, France Menk, Steven Dumont (Recording Secretary)

 

Alternates Present: Myra Mansouri, Elaine Heleen, Kelli Wilson

 

Members Absent: Gary Speed

 

Others Present: Cheryl Mayberry (Selectboard Representative), Chuck Shaw, Duncan Watson

 

Call to Order: Alicia called the meeting to order at 7:32 PM. 

 

Seating of Alternates: none required.

 

Lew voted to approve the minutes of July 1, 2019. John seconded. All in favor.

 

Public Business:

1. Treasury: PDIP account balances as follows; Conservation – $131,966.37. Forestry – $36,263.50. Walker Road – $4,553.75. Mason Trust Expendable – $342,161.35, non-expendable – $13,939.60.
2. Correspondence:
a. Alicia submitted Tom Goin’s instructions for depositing and withdrawing funds.
b. France Menk’s signed Conservation Commission membership letter.
c. NH DES Permit Application; March Hill Road.
d. Letter from NH DOT about Bridge Preservation work on Church Street Bridge from NH to VT.
e. Newsletter from the NH Charitable Foundation.
f. NH Forest Society Easements; letters for easement monitoring. Alicia will get in touch with Jackie.

 

New Business: 

1. Chuck Shaw was in attendance checking for any updates on the Walker Road property. John notified him that the Fletcher’s are not interested in haying the property. Chuck mentioned that people are backing off haying smaller properties. Chuck knows some people who have brush hogs and we could have that done if no one else is interested in hay. Chuck asked about the boat launch idea from Fish & Game. The WCC was not interested as the state would have control of the property. Chuck mentioned that the riverbank down there is beautiful this time of year with a large sandbar and views up and down the river.

 

 

 

Old Business:

1. Harold Putnam Memorial: Lew has no update. He is reaching out to the family to get their ideas. Should have an update next month. 
2. Walker Road Property: Alicia noted we had already discussed with Chuck. Garrett from NH Fish & Game wrote Alicia and asked how the event went and if we had a copy of the tax map so he could see the location. Alicia will touch base with him. On another note, Lew thinks he can get to the kiosk sometime in September. 
3. Mill Pond Work Day: Alicia noted it was well advertised. Event is coming up Saturday. Alicia said a few of the Walpole Walkers will be there. Lew and Kelli need to scout it ahead of time. Lew will bring tools.
4. Town Website: Kelli contacted Sarah Downing, who put her in touch with the current volunteer designer, Ryan Harrison. They suggest the WCC have their own section of the town page. Kelli will get in touch with Ryan to see what the next steps are. She will try to meet before the next meeting.
5. Reservoir Dam: John got in touch with Fuzzy Brothers. They are interested in doing the work. He’s asked them to set up a meeting to look at it Friday. John has also contacted some other firms which are larger national firms and do not have local contractors. They contract with local contractors. John will verify that Fuzzy Brothers can get there Friday. On another note, the Hooper Dam has come into discussion. There was confusion on who owns the dam. It may be the WCC or it may be Hooper. A new abutter had her property surveyed and Hooper has recently had their properties done. Those surveys should show it. It is unclear from the tax maps on what property the dam lies on.
6. Long View Forest Management: Alicia has not heard from Alex.
7. Expiring Terms: France Menk is officially a member. It is believed Jackie needs to swear in. Duncan will submit his letter of interest. No word from Peter. 

 

Other Business:

1. Alicia was talking with Sarah Downing and at the Fanny Mason Trails that we worked on this year, the ferns are taller than the blazes. They are also quite weedy. They need to be brushed out. Lew will walk through it.

 

Adjournment: At 8:06 Lew made a motion to adjourn the meeting. John seconded. Meeting adjourned.

Next Meeting: Monday, September 9, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted; Steven Dumont, Recording Secretary

Note: These are unapproved minutes. Corrections, if any, will be found in the minutes of September 9, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: